Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Monday, July 6, 2009

What gives?

This is a bit of a random post, but I came up with a random question today. Monday was a beautiful day out so I went to work in a pretty aqua skirt with flowers embroidered on it. I made the skirt in my first sewing class - which is not the point, but I'm proud that I produced something I can actually wear (see picture).



As I was walking around at some point I thought "What a pretty shade of blue! It's just great for a skirt.... but why wouldn't pants look right?" Why is it exactly that I can wear an aqua blue embroidered skirt and everyone thinks it's cute, but if I dared to wear the very same material as a pair of pants everyone would look at me like I needed an eye exam? What's the difference? Is it the amount of material?? Is it the shape? The fact that a skirt can flow when you walk?


My co-worker and I got to talking about this - she thought I was flat out bizarre for even wondering why, but got to thinking about it and thought I had a very valid question! We decided that there was an age cut off. A little girl would look adorable in aqua blue embroidered pants with a cute pair of sandals ... We figured that past the age of 6 or 7 it no longer is cute, just odd.


So my question to you is why? What social norms am I breaking if I wear a brightly patterned pair of pants that I'm not breaking if I use that same fabric for a skirt??


It gives you something to think about doesn't it?

Until the next time ...
The girl behind the lama

~LMM
Pin It!

3 comments:

my7kids said...

Now see, I have NO regard for mores like that. Call me a sociopath, but not like it's a bad thing, LoL! I have been known to wear capri pants with large cherries on them, black fringed-leather chaps to sing in the choir, a mini skirt with an automatic-weapons T shirt from the local armory.

Very freeing to not give a tinker's damn.

(If I cared what society thought I wouldn't have 7 kids either, LoL)

Nikki
jesus_iscomin at twitter
My7kids Recycled Yarn Shop
HeartFeltFun Accessory Boutique
Fluff4ewe Batts and Handspuns!
My Thoughts on Life, Yarn, Kids, and Other Stuff

Beth Howard said...

Y'know, you've got a point... and I haven't the foggiest idea why. But kid jewelry is coming into adult fashion, so why not kid colors? I say go for it! :D

Anonymous said...

lol, I have these kind of random questions all the time. Glad to know I'm not alone. ;) Anyway, you're right - I would definitely wear a skirt in that color (great job by the way, it's so cute) but I would never have the confidence to wear it in pants. Why? Not sure, really. When you really think about it, pants should look just as good... Now I'll be thinking about this all week.. :P

PS - I've given you the One Lovely Blog award. :) You can pick it up at my 07/09/09 blog post. Congrats!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments