Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Parsley and Pancetta-Flavored Ricotta-Stuffed Chicken

I took another one from Rachael’s daytime talk show.  I switched things up just a bit.  I had no need, and no ambition really to butterfly a whole chicken.  We really prefer the white meat anyway, so I just used some bone in, skin on chicken breasts.

We served it up with some potatoes roasted with Penzy’s Old World Seasoning and some corn that we made over the summer and froze.  I live in the middle of corn country, taking the corn straight from the cob is so much better than the frozen stuff from the store! 

Tasty dinner!  It wasn’t hard to throw together. I started it a little later than I had anticipated, but the bright side was that the kiddo was down for the night at 7, and with dinner at 7:15 we had a nice, quite, adults only meal which was wonderful!

I’ve got the recipe below with my own edits as to what I changed, but give the original a try if you want!

What do you need?

4 starchy potatoes, peeled **I used a handful of baby yukon golds that I had leftover from earlier in the week
Salt and pepper
EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling plus 1 tablespoon, divided
1 head garlic, 3 cloves peeled and minced, the rest left whole and cracked, divided
A few sprigs fresh rosemary
1 4- to 5-pound chicken **I used 2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
1/3 pound pancetta, cut into fine dice **You can also substitute bacon if you don’t want to worry about pancetta
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 small Fresno or red cherry chili, seeded and finely chopped  **I don’t like chili’s so I skipped this one
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped or processed
1 1/2 cups fresh regular or sheep’s milk ricotta, drained well
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

Serves 4

Now what?

Parboil potatoes 5 minutes in salted water. Let cool then cut into wedges or chunks and dress with oil in a roasting pan. Toss with whole, cracked garlic cloves and chopped rosemary, salt and pepper.  **I skipped the parboiling completely.  I just chunked the potatoes, tossed them with EVOO and Old World Seasoning and popped them in the oven for about 45 minutes**

IMG_4466

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Using a cleaver, a large sharp kitchen knife or shears, split bird down the back, open and flatten it. **You might be able to get your butcher to do this for you**  Butterfly it then loosen the skin all over the bird, being careful not to tear it. Dress with EVOO, season with salt and pepper.

Heat EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, in a small skillet. Brown pancetta then combine with shallots, minced garlic and chili. Stir 2 minutes then transfer to bowl to cool.

IMG_4462

Stir in parsley, cheeses and nutmeg. Spread the cheese and parsley mixture all over the chicken under the skin in an even layer.

IMG_4463

Roast on a baking sheet covered loosely with foil for 30 minutes then uncovered an additional 30 minutes.

IMG_4467IMG_4468

How did yours turn out??

Until the next time…
~The girl behind the lama

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments