Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

18. Turkey Saltimbocca Roll-Ups, Mushroom and White Bean Ragout, and Spinach with Pancetta and Onions

Well a few changes to this one.  My grocery store doesn’t have turkey cutlets so I had to use chicken that I made into cutlets myself.  We also don’t need to make this much for 2 people, so we cut it way back.  I’ve left the recipe as written, but we definitely don’t need to eat 12 pieces of turkey! I actually used one giant chicken breast that I cut in half.  Portion control!

We’re also not a fan of mushrooms or beans, so we skip that part completely.

I needed one more side, so I cheated and baked up the rest of the tater tots from dinner a few nights ago.  We like it!

**This recipe comes from Rachael Ray 365 – No Repeats.  Most of the recipes are directly from the book, but some I do change out ingredients a bit for things my family prefers. I’ll add my own comments in with a **.

What do you need?

12 turkey cutlets, 1 to 1 1/2 pounds in all **I used 1 large chicken breast butterflied, then cut into two pieces
6 slices prosciutto di Parma, cut in half  **If you can’t find this in your store or don’t want to spend the money on it, you can swap in a bacon
12 whole fresh sage leaves plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage  **next time I would skip the whole sages leaves and just use a sprinkle of dried sage
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (2/3 palmful)
2 tablespoons wine vinegar, white or red
2 cups chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine (eyeball it)
1/8 pound (3 slices) pancetta, chopped **I just used the rest of the prosciutto from the turkey**
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 pound triple washed spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg (eyeball it)

Now what?

Using a meat mallet or a heavy, small skillet, pound the turkey between sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap to 1/8 inch thickness.  Top each turkey cutlet with a half slice of prosciutto and a whole sage leaf. 

IMG_4489

Roll up the cutlets and drizzle them with EVOO, then season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO, once around the pan.  Arrange the roll-ups seam side down and cook for 6 minutes, then turn and cook for 6 minutes more.

IMG_4490

After the turkey roll-ups have cooked on both sides, transfer to a platter and reserve.  Add the butter to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium low.  Add the flower to the melted butter and combine with a whisk.  Whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock to make a gravy **I add mine in a bit at a time until I have the right gravy consistency, better to have it too thick than too thin!**  Add the remaining chopped sage, then season with salt and pepper.  Slide the roll-ups back into the gravy and simmer over low heat until ready to serve. 

For the spinach, heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.  Add the remaining tablespoon of EVOO, once around the pan, then the chopped pancetta.  Brown the pancetta for 1 minute, then add the onions and cook until the pancetta bits are crisp.  Add the spinach to the pan and turn to wilt it while combining with the onions.  Season the spinach with nutmeg, salt and pepper.

**A note on the spinach.  I use one whole bag of spinach.  It looks like a TON

IMG_4491

Just keep turning it with tongs over and over and I promise it wilts down to …

IMG_4492

Serve 3 roll-ups in gravy with a portion of the ragout and the spinach along side. **I served mine on a platter on top of the spinach and put the gravy on the side.

IMG_4494

4 servings (2 if you cook the way I do)

How did yours turn out??

Until the next time…
~The girl behind the lama

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments