Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beef and Scallion Roll Ups

Overall, not a huge fan of this one.  Great idea, might have been poor execution on my end. I think part of my problem was that my roast beef was too thinly sliced so I had a really hard time rolling them up without tearing all the time.  There was no chance that I could secure them with a toothpick either so they kind of fell apart a little.  Something about the flavor didn’t quite do it for me either.  Eh well, I tried right?  Not a bad meal, just not one I’d care to make again.

I took this one from the weekly meal planner through Rachael Ray Magazine.  I’ve got the recipe below with my own edits as to what I changed, but give the original a try if you want!

What do you need?

Salt and pepper

2 bunches scallions, cut into slivers
1/3 cup beer
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
12 thin slices deli roast beef
Salt
1 cucumber, seeded and cut into slivers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Cooked white rice, for serving
Chopped cilantro, for garnish

Serves 4

Now what?

In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the scallions for 30 seconds; drain. In a bowl, whisk together the beer, soy sauce and sugar; set aside.

Trim each roast beef slice to about 4 by 5 inches. Season with salt. Lay a small cluster of scallion and cucumber slivers on the bottom edge of each slice and roll tightly to form a log; secure with a toothpick along the length of the roll. Repeat with the remaining beef, scallions and cucumber. Using a basting brush, coat the logs with the reserved beer sauce; let stand for 10 minutes.

IMG_4515

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef rolls (reserve the sauce) and cook, turning, until the sides are brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the reserved beer sauce to the skillet and simmer until syrupy, about 2 minutes.

IMG_4516

Remove the toothpicks from the beef rolls; discard. Cut the rolls into quarters. Top with the sauce.

Top the cooked rice with the cilantro and serve with the roll-ups.

IMG_4517

Did yours turn out better than mine?

Until the next time…
The girl behind the lama
~LMM

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments