Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Monday, January 24, 2011

11. Italian Sub Stoup and Garlic Toast Floaters

I love soup in the winter.  A steaming warm bowl just warms you up on a blustery snowy day. 

I’ll have to admit that I didn’t love this soup.  It was pretty good, but just not what I like in a soup.  The pepperoni and sausage needed a lot of straining to get all the fat off.  The flavor was great, but there is just something I don’t like about sausage in soup.  I like sausage in sauces …. or on a bun. 

Loved the croutons!  I don’t make croutons often, but I should, yum! I was so in love with the croutons and wanted to eat that I totally forgot to add the spinach.  Sad :(

**This recipe comes from Rachael Ray 365 – No Repeats.  Most of the recipes are directly from the book, but some I do change out ingredients a bit for things my family prefers. I’ll add my own comments in with a **.

What do you need?

Stoup:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) (twice around the pan)
3/4 pound (3 links) hot or sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
1/4 pound piece pepperoni, diced ***(I don’t like big pieces, so I get the thinly sliced pepperoni and chop it)
1 ham steak, 1/2 to 3/4 pound, diced ***(Not a huge fan of ham in soup so I omit this)
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered, and sliced
1 medium yellow onion, quartered and sliced
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup gemelli pasta or other shaped pasta
4 cups arugula (2 bunches, trimmed and coarsely chopped) ***I prefer to use a bag of spinach instead

Croutons:
1/4 cup EVOO
3 large garlic cloves, cracked from skins
5 cups crusty bread, cubed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano0Reggiano (a couple of handfuls)
***I completely skipped the garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano and used Penzy Spice’s Sandwich Sprinkle (otherwise known as crouton seasoning)


Now what?

Place a soup pot on the stovetop and preheat to medium high. ***I love this cast iron pot from Rachael Ray***

IMG_4316

Add the EVOO and the sausage.  Brown and crumble the sausage, drain off excess fat if necessary, then add the pepperoni and ham.  **While your meat is browning, cut up the veggies ** Cook for 2 minutes, then add the bell peppers and onions and cook for 2 or 3 minutes more. 

IMG_4319

Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.  Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Stir in the pasta and cook for 8 minutes. 

IMG_4323

While the pasta cooks, heat the 1/4 cup EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the bread cubes, toss and toast the cubes for 5 or 6 minutes.  Season the toasty cubes with the red pepper flakes, oregano and grated cheese.

IMG_4324

Stir the arugula (or spinach) into the stoup just before you serve it up.  Float several bread cubes in each bowl.

IMG_4326

4-6 servings

How did yours turn out??

Until the next time…
~The girl behind the lama

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments