Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

3. Lamb or Beef Goulash

I think this could have been better.  I decided to go on a limb and try the lamb because I really haven’t had much lamb in my life.  Overall, not a huge fan of the flavor.

I think this would have been awesome with the beef.  Hubby liked it and at it anyway, so I guess that counts as a success. 

If you make the Turkey Shepherd’s Pie yesterday, you’ll notice that this recipe is very similar.  Take out the potatoes, peas, and egg.  Swap lamb or beef for the turkey.  Swap beef stock for chicken stock.  Add in egg noodles and voila!  So if you think you can’t make this … if you made yesterday’s meal – you can make this one!

Sorry, no pictures this time.  Once I start thinking ahead, I’ll actually start taking pictures as I cook.

**This recipe comes from Rachael Ray 365 – No Repeats.  Most of the recipes are directly from the book, but some I do change out ingredients a bit for things my family prefers. I’ll add my own comments in with a **.

What do you need?

Coarse salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) (twice around the pan)
1/4 pound bacon chopped (I used about 5 slices) 
2 pounds ground lamb or sirloin 
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (or substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons each of sweet paprika and cumin)
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (5-6 sprigs) or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 celery ribs from the heart, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups beef stock or broth
1 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 to 12 fresh chives, chopped or snipped

Now what?

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, salt it, and cook the egg noodles according to package directions while you make the beef topping.

Heat a deep, large skillet over medium0high heat.  Add the EVOO to the skillet, then add the bacon and brown it up.  **While the bacon is browning start chopping the veggies.** Remove the bacon to paper towels and drain off the excess fat from the bowl, then add the lamb or beef to the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon.  Season the lamb or beef with the smoked paprika, salt, pepper and thyme.  **This is a great time to finish copping those veggies!**

When the meat is browned, add the onions, carrots, and celery.  Season the veggies with salt and pepper (**I know you just seasoned the meat, but add more to the veggies, it really makes a difference if you layer the flavor!**).  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the red bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.  Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the stock and combine.  Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream and simmer the mixture over low heat to thicken.  Stir in the bacon.

Serve the goulash over cooked egg noodles, dressed with the butter and chopped chives.

4-6 servings

How did yours turn out??

Until the next time…
~The girl behind the lama

Pin It!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments