Invited By Lama Works

Visit the all new website Invited by Lama Works to find out more about my store!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

9. Turkey Noodle Casserole

This is just a good old fashioned turkey noodle casserole.  Now I know many of you make this and use cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup and love it.  I just can’t do the cream of soups.  My stomach doesn’t like it and all we taste is processed soup.  So it isn’t for us. 

We are all about fresh, made from scratch sauces and this is a great one.  We really don’t like mushrooms, but love the flavor of mushrooms in a sauce, so we usually keep them in.

Another good side note …. we use Fiesta dishes.  We have found that one cereal bowl full of dry pasta is just enough pasta for the two of us in a meal … plus a little extra for snacking.

**This recipe comes from Rachael Ray 365 – No Repeats.  Most of the recipes are directly from the book, but some I do change out ingredients a bit for things my family prefers. I’ll add my own comments in with a **.

What do you need?

Coarse Salt 
1/2 pound extra-wide egg noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) (once around the pan)
3 slices of bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 package (about 1 1/2 pounds) ground turkey breast
1 pound white mushrooms, wiped, trimmed and sliced **I buy the ones packaged ones that are already cleaned and sliced!
1 medium onion chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons ground thyme or poultry seasoning
1/2 cup dry white wine (or chicken stock)
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream (about 3 times around the pan)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (one 8 ounce brick) **I am not a huge fan of Gruyere so I use just a shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese, you could also use Swiss if you wanted to keep the Gruyere flavor
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Now what?

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles.  When it boils, salt the water and cook the noodles al dente.  Drain well and return to the pot.

While the pasta cooks, preheat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the EVOO and the bacon.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the fat is rendered and the bacon begins to brown at the edges.  Remove to a paper towel.  Add the turkey and brown it, crumbling it with a wooden spoon.  Move the meat over to one side of the pan and add the mushrooms and onions to the opposite side.  Cook the mushrooms and onions for 3 to 5 minutes, then stir the meat and veggies together.  Season the mixture liberally with salt and pepper, and sprinkle in the ground thyme or poultry seasoning.  Cook for another 5 minutes.  Add the wine and deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up pan drippings and browned bits.  Stir in the stock and bring to a bubble, then stir in the cream and reduce the heat to low.  Add the nutmeg and stir.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. 

Preheat the broiler to high.  Combine the noodles with the turkey and sauce.  Grease a casserole dish with a little softened butter.  Transfer the turkey-noodle mixture to the dish and top with Gruyere cheese and then bread crumbs.  Place the casserole 8 to 10 inches from the broiler and brown for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crumbs are brown.  Garnish the casserole with the parsley.

4  servings

How did yours turn out??

Until the next time…
~The girl behind the lama

Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I made this last night, and it turned out odd. Since you featured it, I thought I'd check with you. My sauce didn't thicken up nearly as much as I thought it would. It didn't really stick to the noodles - ended up sloshing around in the bottom. Is that what it's supposed to do? We did spring for the gruyere, but not 8 whole ounces, ouch! I think I'll switch to gouda or swiss and pile on the cheese next time.

Lama Works said...

Two suggestions for you - I would say next time try adding in the stock a little bit at a time instead of all of it at once. I've found that most recipes either have too much, or I like my gravy thicker than most. I tend to start with about half the liquid they ask for and then keep adding more until it's the thickness that I'm looking for. Sometimes I'll skip the cream all together if I think it'll make it too thin. I also think I tend to be a bit heavy on my flour and butter. I never measure, I just grab a heaping spoonful. The four is the thickening agent, so more flour should get you a thicker sauce - just make sure that it all absorbs into the butter or you may end up with clumps.

Hope that helps! Let me know if it turns out better next time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Envelopments