Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Makes: 4
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 T butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart broth
- 2 lbs chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- hot sauce
Bring chicken broth and butter to a boil. Stir in rice and orzo. Cook for 15-18 minutes until done, set aside.
Preheat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Add the stock, bring up to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
Add the parsley, dill, the lemon juice, and hot sauce to taste. Remove the bay leaf.
Divide the cooked rice among 4 serving bowls; ladle the soup over the rice, making sure to distribute the chicken and veggies evenly among the bowls.