Prep Time: 12 min | Cook Time: 14 min | Makes: 4 servings | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted, kept chilled ( 1 box comes with 2 sheets 9 1/2 by 9 1/2 inches)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef skirt or flank steak
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 springs rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch thin asparagus
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (also good with blue cheese)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill on high. With a sharp knife, cut the thawed but chilled puff pastry sheet in to 4 squares and arrange on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
While the oven preheats, chop the woody ends off of the asparagus. Cut asparagus into 1" pieces, place on a baking sheet and toss with 1-2 T olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper.
Cook the asparagus along with the puff pastry according to package directions, or until golden brown all over, about 12 to 15 minutes.
While the puff pastry is cooking, season the skirt steak with extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Grill meat 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove meat and let it rest 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
In a bowl, toss together the grilled chopped asparagus, and cheese. Season the mixture with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Slice the rested steak thinly across the grain. Top each golden brown puff pastry square with some steak slices. Top the steak with the asparagus salad and serve.
Adapted from: 365 No Repeats - Rachael Ray